"Pupils are taught a highly stimulating curriculum which is both broad and balanced. They have many and varied opportunities to study and hone their skills.
The learning environment in lessons enables pupils to thrive and develop into self-assured, confident individuals. Pupils have exceptionally positive attitudes to learning. They take huge pride in their work and are keen to show their successes both inside and outside of school" OUTSTANDING OFSTED OCTOBER 2016
Birchwood’s school curriculum has been designed to:
• focus on contextualised learning through play and first hand experiences;
• have time to work in depth rather than being driven by ‘coverage’;
• be highly motivating, promote a passion for learning and incorporate pupil voice and collaboration;
• to enable children to have respect for themselves and high self-esteem in order that they can self-reflect critically to improve the quality of their work.
Firmly embedded within the context of the National Curriculum 2014, Birchwood Primary School has a unique and specifically designed curriculum. -
This distinctively tailored curriculum is founded on two key philosophies:
• The acquisition, application and mastering of key basic skills in English and Mathematics
• The ability to deploy cross discipline skills to enable the children to make connections with their learning guided by the Wheel of Wisdom