Birchwood were nominated for The Food and Drink's award and the Greenest School award at the Suffolk Greenest County Award on the 17th July 2019. The event was held at Snape Maltings and was an amazing event. Birchwood were delighted to get a 'Highly Commended' in the Food and Drink category, but most proud to secure First Place in Greenest School!
Radio Suffolk interviewed the children and Governors involved.
Birchwood Primary School Eco-Code
The School Council has agreed that all pupils, staff and visitors will follow our Eco-Code (January 2019)
- RECYCLE all scrap paper, using both sides.
- RECYCLE all clean, plastic containers.
- RECYCLE all cardboard.
- RECYCLE used postage stamps, batteries, textiles, glasses, crisp packets, ink cartridges, writing implements and shoes.
- REUSE fruit and vegetable waste for compost, chicken food and in the wormery.
- REUSE rain water and left over drinking water in water butts for our gardens.
- REUSE materials to support our learning (junk modelling, glue pots, flower pots etc.).
- REUSE pens and glue sticks by putting lids back on after use.
- REDUCE water wastage by turning off taps.
- REDUCE electricity wastage by switching off and closing doors.
- REDUCE food wastage by designing the menu, pre ordering our school lunches and eating up!
- REDUCE food wastage by harvesting, cooking and preserving our school grown crops.
- REDUCE our carbon footprint by walking, scooting or biking to school.
- REDUCE our use of single use plastics by using reusable drinks bottles, avoiding cling film and purchasing responsibly.