Quite simply, it is our intention that every pupil, irrelevant of needs, acquires the skills to carry out efficient mental and written calculations through the use of manipulatives and hands on learning. We want the children to achieve their full potential, by applying Mathematics to real life scenarios and investigations with creativity and flexibility. Mathematics is a tool for life. It provides a way of viewing and making sense of the world. It is used to analyse and communicate information and ideas and to tackle a range of tasks and real life problems.
Through Mathematics we aim to support this philosophy by:
- Challenging the children during lessons, therefore enabling them to achieve their true potential
- Developing individual's self-esteem and confidence through secure understanding
- Stimulating learners through active lessons, utilising their Mathematics knowledge to overcome barriers
- Allow children to use a wide range of Mathematical tools and equipment
- Making the use of ICT understandable and relevant during and outside of lessons.
- Supporting children to use a variety of creative approaches to solving problems
- Encourage all to take responsibility for aspects of their own learning (both this point and the one above are fostered and reinforced through the Wheel of Wisdom)
- Children using Mathematics in a range of everyday situations
At Birchwood, we feel that it is vital to acquire positive attitudes and values through their mathematical learning including:
- creative thinking
- open mindedness
- valuing cooperation and collaboration
The Medium Term planning is taken from the Primary Curriculum and supported by White Rose Termly coverage guidance. Weekly planning is supported by a variety of sources, and when appropriate, combines Wheel of Wisdom teaching to utilise Mathematical skills in a more cross curricular approach and in an active/hands on environment. The staff team have spent considerable time reorganising White Rose Maths sequence of learning so that children re visit mathematical concepts, learn more and remember more. Children, parents and teachers have access to TTRockstars to regularly explore and practise times tables – a fundamental part of the curriculum. Our home learning platform is supported by EducationCity – offering interactive activities, learning recaps and tracking facilities to see progress/improvement. These in turn, support the curriculum by revisiting key skills and areas covered throughout the year.
There are literally hundreds of ways we can demonstrate the excellent impact our Mathematics curriculum design has on our pupils. In a nutshell, here are some examples:
As part of our Y6 micro business, Key Stage 2 children have been inspired to proudly enhance the business by recording daily egg production, labeling and marketing the eggs, producing weekly spreadsheets on profit and outgoings, ordering food and materials, caring for the flock and writing to local businesses, such as Adnams to outline production and sale criteria - for use when creating a dish to be sold in their restaurants. Overall giving children that first hand experience of how a business operates before transferring to Secondary School.
2019 Birchwood results for pupils compared to their peers nationally, are simply the best since the school opened in 1990 and are well above all 2019 national outcomes. For example, Birchwood Y6 Mathematics at expected = 97%, compared to the national figure of 79% and 66% at greater depth, compared to the national of 27%.
The progress of the children is assessed on a termly basis, with interventions and opportunities available for pupils to increase their knowledge of Mathematics in a variety of areas.